Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Jan 1st 2008 Happy New Year

Well this year is coming in with a bang. Today we are having another snow storm...and the weather is quite cold. Tonight will go to -25 C. With the wind howling and blowing snow everywhere making for near white out conditions...and snow piling up in huge drifts.




Vegas is with NO blanket this time. He's doing great! I believe that he has finally caught up and his coat is taking care of him now. He was about 2 months behind in production and up here that makes a huge difference. The days are finally on their way to getting longer and I'm sure the rough part of this winter is over for him.
He is happy and content without blanket. His coat is parting properly to shed off the moisture and staying fluffed up to keep him warm...as are the others. He knows to roll and shake now too which is a bonus! Rolling in the snow takes moisture off the coat too and shaking throws everything to the outer hair and alot of it right off. He's feeling good lately for the running and is using his body well through the snow...good articulation of his joints.



I did some video today and took some pics...as best I could in the white out snow storm.


Temperament wise he is doing great.


Still getting used to being approached when I carry a bag flag or whip. He is a little tense and on high alert when I walk up...but with soft words he stands his ground and as soon as I place a hand on him he exhales and relaxes...then I tell him what a good boy he is and walk away. :) He watches me go.




Oh today I saw him play with Jet, Rico and BETA! I think I have some on video...haven't really looked at it yet....but that's a first. Just the lip grabbing game but it's awesome that him and Beta are now playing. What an honor for him to have herd leader initiate play without aggression and a milestone for Vegas to play back and not turn into the tazmanian devil boy! ;)


He doesn't seem to walk with any more 'limp' at all...hopefully his legs and muscles are evening out. Great workout daily to go through all the deep snow. Geez I love snow for that!! For that and feeding some oats and boss in nice Daas footprints. :) yummy! Stormy day delicacies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just stumbled upon this blog, and I wanted to say that I think it's great that you have taken on rehabilitating this horse!

I have a couple of rescue horses that needed some rehabilitation, too. Veggie's story reminded me because one had a terrible winter coat last year, but this year it is SO much better! The other was starved and neglected, and she has a sore back that we can't figure out how to heal. :( Maybe she just needs some good exercise in the snow!

Best of luck with Veggie! :)