Friday, December 14, 2007

I've been away...the purple pony



I decided to leave the blanket on while I went away to do a clinic. The weather was not predictable and the hired help was only to feed and water and did not want to take on and off blankets...so I left it on.

First moment I got home...I took it off...and it's been off since.
He seems to have caught up some in coat production...but not totally there yet. Probably not until next winter. He was not out of the barn early enough and still had so many other issues to deal with. I won't keep a blanket on when I don't have to...but I'll watch the forecast and use if needed.
I would suspect, judging from other horses I have had in early transition to natural lifestyle that the snow is ok...the cold is ok...the wet is harder for them to deal with in their first winter if they got out late.
Vegas' coat for example does not have the same density and loft as the natural horses and also does not seem to have the water shedding ability. Added to that is that he is not used to shake and roll to clean himself...although he is learning these things through the others.

As far as his feet go...they are coming along nicely in the snow. I love snow for this!! He is getting great hydration to a chronically dehydrated, contracted foot which stimulates growth. He is growing bulbs now...he was 'bulbless' for many years.


He is growing an internal foot too by the looks of his stance and comfort level which keeps moving up.

The massive hole in his foot from the super abscess he had is staying clean in the snow...(thankfully this year is not like last year with all the muck) and doesn't seem to bother him much these days...although still looks odd.


No comments: